Monday, January 12, 2009

White Cells at 1200

Today, I woke up to some good news. My white cells went up from 900 yesterday to 1200 which is the highest I have been yet. I still have to get to 2000-2500 to get discharged from the hospital but at least we are going in the right direction.

I also have rashes on my body from the waste up and last night, I started a burning rash on my calves. The rashes are a good sign meaning that the baby stem cells are working hard inside my body. The bad thing is that the doctor has to increase my steroid use (prednisone) from 10 mg twice per day to 15 mg twice per day. The steroids are needed to reduce the inflammation and prevent the rashes to developing into pneumonia or liver problems. So I have to accept my steroids even though I have bone hip damage from too many steroids 2 years ago. These are also the muscle melting steroids and not the muscle building steroids. The steroids also keep me a little hyper and do not let me sleep well at night (I am awake at 3 am).

For now, let's just work on getting those white cells up!

2 comments:

KathyJ said...

Steve, Bonjour or should I say G'day Mate! Have your cells decided if you will be Belgian or Australian yet? I'm hoping for Australian because I like their language. Elaine says you are going stir crazy in your "cell". Hopefully you can get out this weekend to enjoy our summer weather. We are all rooting for you here. Love, Kathy

KathyJ said...

Steve, I just heard the news that Ben beat out Micky ( and I was ready to throw another shrimp on the barbi). Well, it is still good news so I'll start rooting for Ben now. Ecoute Ben, aime Ben, essayer d'obtenir Ben ( I hope they all say "Go Ben!") I haven't used French in 30+ years and I am a bit rusty.